Explore settings and customizations for Donor Portal.
This guide describes the settings and customizations that can be configured for Donor Portal from the settings area of the Fundraise Up Dashboard.
The Portal URL is the web address for Donor Portal. By default, Donor Portal is hosted for your organization on a random subdomain connected to the donorsupport.co domain, which is operated by Fundraise Up. The Portal URL can be modified to use a customized subdomain name hosted at donorsupport.co, or set to use a custom domain configured by your organization.
- Fundraise Up domain: This setting lets you configure a custom subdomain connected to the donorsupport.co domain. For example, your customized Portal URL using this method could be mycharity.donorsupport.co.
- Custom domain: Using the custom domain setting enables you to make Donor Portal available at a web address that you manage. For example, portal.mycharity.org. This approach allows for a fully white-labeled implementation of Donor Portal. Configuring a custom domain requires access to your domain’s DNS settings. The configuration steps for this approach are described below.Only subdomains (e.g. portal.mycharity.org) may be used when the Custom domain setting is selected. Second-level domains (e.g. mycharity.org) cannot be used.
DNS settings for custom domains
When you use a custom domain for a Portal URL, you add a CNAME record to your DNS configuration. This enables you to point your custom domain to a Fundraise Up server destination. Create the CNAME record using the following values:
Considerations for using custom domains
The Portal URL can be updated at any time. However, we recommend configuring the setting just once. This is because the Portal URL is also used to generate Donate Link, P2P Link, and QR Code URLs. Changing the Portal URL can break the links generated for these Elements components.
Donor Portal can be customized to include a custom browser image (favicon) and hero image. The configuration options for these customizations are described below.
Browser icon (favicon)
- Minimum resolution: 32 x 32px
- Recommended resolution: 64 x 64px
- Minimum resolution: 930 x 408px
- Recommended resolution: 1,860 x 816px
The homepage message is displayed the hero image in Donor Portal. The message includes a title and description that can be customized to use your own text. Both text fields can include personalization merge tags.
We recommend using the homepage message to provide donors with information about how they can use Donor Portal to manage their giving, and to include contact details such as a support email address, phone number, or web page link.
When Localization is enabled, the homepage message can be translated into any supported and enabled language. To modify the translations used for the homepage message, select the Language option in the Homepage message section of Donor Portal settings.
Recurring donation settings
These Donor Portal settings control the display of retention features. These features are designed to reduce the number of donors who cancel recurring plans. By default, Fundraise Up configures your account with the optimal settings for retention. The options for these settings are described below.
Recurring donation cancellation
- Donor can cancel in Donor Portal: This option allows a donor to cancel their recurring plan from Donor Portal. We recommend leaving this setting enabled because it can reduce the number of support phone calls and email exchanges that your organization has to handle from donors wishing to cancel their recurring plans.
- Donor required to contact organization or submit feedback form: This option displays customizable instructions to donors that prompt them to contact you outside of Donor Portal if they wish to cancel their recurring plans. When this option is selected, a textarea input will be displayed for customizing the instructions you want to show donors.
Reduce recurring donation amount
- Donor can reduce amount in Donor Portal: This option allows a donor to reduce the donation amount of their recurring plan directly in Donor Portal. We recommend leaving this setting enabled because it can reduce the number of support phone calls and email exchanges that your organization has to handle from donors wishing to modify their recurring plans.
- Donor is required to contact the organization or submit a feedback form: This option displays customizable instructions to donors that prompt them to contact you outside of Donor Portal if they wish to modify their recurring plans. When this option is selected, a textarea input will be displayed for customizing the instructions you want to show donors.
Donor can pause recurring gifts (skip installments)
This option, which is enabled by default, enables a donors to pause recurring plan installment charges for a certain period of time. Donors can select from the following pause durations:
- 1 month
- 3 months
- 1-12 months (user-selectable)
A fourth option enables a donor to cancel their donation without further prompts.
Show donation history in the Donor Portal
This checkbox lets your organization decide whether to let donors see their donation history in the Donor Portal. By default, this information is shown to donors.
The donation history of recurring plans can still be found in the Donor Portal when the donor clicks through to see the details of that recurring donation plan, regardless of this setting.
Understanding retention prompts
When the default settings for recurring donations are applied and a donor attempts to cancel a recurring plan, they will be shown the following retention prompts in an attempt to reduce the change of cancellation.
- The donor is prompted to change the donation amount of their recurring donation
If the donor selects Change donation amount, they will be shown a screen for modifying the donation amount.
If the donor selects Just cancel my donation…
- The donor is prompted to pause their recurring plan
If the donor selects a pause duration, the recurring plan will temporarily pause installment charges until the pause duration has lapsed.
If the donor selects Just cancel my donation, the recurring plan will be cancelledRecurring plans that have been cancelled can be reactivated by a donor at any time from within Donor Portal.
Donor Portal preview
This area of Donor Portal settings displays an option for previewing the customizations made to Donor Portal. Selecting the View Donor Portal button will launch Donor Portal in a new window. Fictitious data will be displayed on the Donor Portal preview page. This enables you to see how various objects are represented within Donor Portal. The preview version of Donor Portal is accessible from
[your Portal URL]
Donor Portal throughout the platform
Because multiple objects are represented in Donor Portal, it is often referenced in the settings of other features. For example, when the Fundraisers feature is used, some of its customization options are configured from the P2P page of a Campaign’s settings. Learn more →