Understanding how Exports templates work
The templates view in Exports enables you to view and create templates for generating data files.
Each template is displayed in a table as a row, with five properties related to the file.
- ID: The unique ID of the Exports template.
- Name: The name you assign to the template. Note that template names and file names are separate properties.
- Type: The type of records represented in the template. These export types are described in the section on creating new templates.
- Frequency: The interval at which the template generates a file.
- Created: The creation timestamp for the template.
In the table view, each template also includes controls for downloading a data file for the template. A data picker enables you to select the date range for rows to include in the export.
Creating a template
A template is created by selecting the New template button in the Templates view of the Exports feature. The configuration settings for templates are described below.
The General settings view of an Exports template includes settings for configure the parameters of the template.
- Template name: the internal name of the template.
- File name: a dynamic text input that enables you to implement a custom naming structure for files generated by the template. Two dynamic merge tags: Start Date and End Date can be included in the file name. These merge tags refer to the period of time for which records will be exported This period is either defined by the template’s Export schedule or by the date picker when files are downloaded locally from the Templates view.
In the example above, “mycharity_export_new_donations_” is a custom label added using the file name property, and “12-03_00-00_12-04_23-59” is a dynamic value set using the Start Date and End Date merge tags.
When the dynamic date merge tags are used, they will insert date and time values. For example, for a file that includes data for December 3-4, 2022, the date will be inserted as “2022_12-03” and” 2022_12-04,” and the time will be inserted as “00_00” and “23_59”, representing the full 24-hour period for which records are reported.
- Export type: defines the type of records that will be included in the template.
The default columns shown in the File columns view are based on the export type selected.
- New donations: any new donation, including one-time and recurring donations, received during a specified period
- Successful donations: any new donation, including one-time and recurring donations, that were successfully settled. This export type excludes any donation with a status other than “Success”
- Refunded donations: any donation where the status is set to, “Refunded” during a specified period
- Failed: any donation where the status is set to, “Failed” during a specified period
- New recurring plans: any active recurring plan created during a specified period
- Cancelled recurring plans: any recurring plan where the status is set to “Cancelled” during a specified period
- Failed recurring plans: any recurring plan where the status is set to “Failed” during a specified period
- Shared tributes: donations that included a dedication where the donor went to to select a tribute type
- New P2P Fundraisers: any Fundraiser created during a specified period
- New P2P Team Members: any Fundraiser where a group member was added during a specified period
- Campaigns: all your organization's existing campaigns (regardless of status) at the moment of export.
- Export test donations: when selected, this option includes records created when the platform was in test mode.
- Include subaccounts: if the Subaccounts feature is enabled and this option is selected, records for the primary account’s subaccounts will be included in files generated by the template.
- Payment method: filters records based on the payment method used for a donation. By default, the template will include records for all payment types.
- Frequency: enables you to select between including all donation frequencies or filtering by one time or recurring frequencies. By default, the template will include records for all frequencies.
- Campaigns: enables you to select the Campaigns that should be represented in data files created by the template. By default, the template will include records for all campaigns.
In the File Columns view, you can select which properties you want to include in data files created by the template. You can include virtually any property, including custom Questions and Designations.
For your convenience, we include presets for popular platforms. These presets include the necessary or helpful properties that are ordered and named based on the platform that will the exported files will be used with.
Fields for export
You can include virtually any property in an Exports template. Properties are displayed in a searchable list and are dragged and dropped into the template file builder. Properties can be rearranged by selected the left-hand grab handle displayed in each property row and dragging the property to a new location.
Column names, represented by default by a property name, can be customized. Changing column names is useful when you want to match column names to property names in other apps. This can help resolve mapping errors when you import a data file from Fundraise Up into an other platform.
You can select the data format to be used for certain values. Examples of these property types and possible formats are shown in the table below.
|Yes/No||Full ($100.00 USD)||ISO 8601 (2021-03-26T17:03:00.791-04:00)||Postal code (11232)||Answer (”My answer”)|
|1/0||Short ($100)||YYY-MM-DD (2023-04-23)||Postal code plus 4 (11232-2403)||Question Code (Q-004)|
|Amount only (118.00)||24-hour time (18:00)||Question Text (”What is your answer?”)|
|12-hour time (6:00 PM)|
A property in the “Fields for export” area can be removed from the template by hovering over its row and selecting the trash can icon. All rows can be removed from the template by selecting the Clear all option.
Exports templates can be configured to generate data files on a schedule from the Export schedule view. By default, the Create files on a schedule option is unselected.
When you enable creating files on a schedule, you can select from four frequencies:
Enabling an export schedule also enables the option to automatically transmit data files one or more destinations. By default, this option is unselected.
When enabling the option to send files, you can select from destinations you have already created, or select the Add destination option to create new destinations. As needed, you can select multiple options to send files to several destinations. Learn more →