Learn how to integrate Fundraise Up with Geo Targetly to tailor the donor experience for different geolocations.
Geolocation tools are services designed to geotarget and personalize content based on a user’s location. They provide a set of tools for determining visitors’ locations, and then adjusting websites according to the location.
Fundraise Up does not have its own native geolocation tool, but we recommend using the Geo Targetly service. After testing, we’re confident that it can be of great help in the following use cases:
- If your organization has different campaigns for supporters in different countries
- To show different Elements based on supporters’ geolocation
- Access to your Geo Targetly Account:
- Go to the Geo Targetly website and create an account, or log in if you already have one.
- The required Elements and Campaigns should be created and configured for your goals in your Fundraise Up Dashboard. Geotargeting can be used with the following Elements:
To create any of these elements, go to the Elements tab in your Fundraise Up Dashboard and click New Element.
Example: let's consider an example where we install a Donate Button element on a website page. We want visitors from Canada to see a Donate Button that will open a Campaign created and configured specifically for Canadian supporters. For supporters from other countries, a different Donate Button will be displayed that will open the default campaign.
The following steps will guide you through how to integrate Fundraise Up with Geo Targetly and start using geotargeting:
Part 1: General Setup
- Go to your Geo Targetly dashboard, where you can begin the setup.
- In the side menu, click on + Products to open the product selection page.
- Find the Geo Content bar and click + ADD TO SITE to create a new Geo Content service.
- At the top of the page, set a meaningful name to your Geo Content (eg. ”Campaigns for different countries”).
- In the Website section, choose the first option, called Use geo content on all pages of a website. Example: If your website URL is http://mywebsite.com, then the Geo Content service can be used on that URL and all other subpages: http://mywebsite.com/blog, http://mywebsite.com/donate and so on. If your website URL is http://mywebsite.com/donate, then http://mywebsite.com/donate/abc and any other subpages will also all be able to use the Geo Content service.
- Enter the URL of your website where Geo Content will be used.
- In the Integration Method section, choose the option to Enter content using our in-built HTML editor. Select how many content blocks you want to add geotargeting to. For example, if you want to add geotarget rules to one Donate Button, select 1 content block.
- Click Next.
Part 2: Define location segments
- Choose a name for your first location segment (instead of “Location Segment 1”).
- In the Locations tab click + Add to add a location rule.
- In the modal window click Add Location Rule:
- Select the type of location (e.g. Country)
- Select a condition for the location (e.g. Equal to)
- Search for the required location and select from the dropdown (e.g. “Canada”)
- Click Add.
- Click on the Content Editor tab and insert the HTML code of your Donate Button into the Content Block field. This Button should be associated to a campaign created specifically for Canada.You’ll find the Donate Button code in the Fundraise Up Dashboard when you open the Element.
Make sure that the rule is enabled (the control button should be set to On at the top right of the Location Segment section).
- Click + on the All Other Locations rule section and then click on the Content Editor tab to add element for other locations. This rule will be used to display the proper element if the visitor's location does not match any of the locations set up in the other rules.
- Insert the HTML code of your other element into the Content Block field. This will show to visitors who are not targeted by any other segment (such as Canada in our example). Enabled that rule by using the On control button.
- Click Next.
Part 3: Add Geo Targetly One-time Code To Website
- Click on any of the Save buttons to save the setup and obtain your Geo Content code script.
- Select your website platform / integration method.
- Copy the code from the Geo Content code form and paste it into your website page footer.
- Copy the code from the Content Block 1 HTML Tag form and paste it into your website page where the Geo Content should display.
- Publish changes to your website.
Part 4: Testing
The best way to check your configuration is to visit your website to see the Geo Content in action.
- In the side menu, click on Test Mode to open the in-built location simulator to see how your website content appears from any location.
- Follow testing instruction to simulate a location for your device to see how your website behaves. The testing instructions consist of 4 steps and are displayed in the Testing section.