Send conversion events from Fundraise Up to Microsoft Advertising
Microsoft Advertising is a service that provides pay per click advertising on the Bing, Yahoo!, and DuckDuckGo search engines. This article will show you two methods for sending conversions from Fundraise Up.
The easiest way to integrate Fundraise Up and Microsoft Advertising is by using Google Tag Manager (also known as GTM.) The foundation of the GTM integration is the data layer, so it's recommended that you familiarize yourself with the events Fundraise Up pushes to the data layer. Learn more →
- First, we'll need to create a conversion goal in Microsoft Advertising by going to Tools>>Conversion Goals.
- Next, we'll need to create a conversion goal for donations. Select "Create" and then configure your conversion goal like this: There is not a "donate" goal category, so the closest option is "purchase." We recommend using "purchase" rather than a custom category since the "purchase" event is more easily understood by Microsoft's AI, which will in turn help you get a better ROI. Next, it'll prompt you to set up your base UET tag. This article assumes this has already been done, but if it hasn't, please follow the instructions provided. If you've already installed the base UET tag, then select "skip base tag setup". Finally, you'll be ready to install the event. Since we'll be using GTM to set up the donation event, you can choose "track event on inline action," click "next," and then done. Now, we're ready to move onto setting up the event in GTM!
Next, configure your event like below. Make sure to choose the dropdown "Conversion action value may vary" from the Revenue dropdown.
- Since this integration relies on dataLayer events, we must create these events as user-defined variables and triggers in your GTM container so that they can be used with your UET events. This will allow us to pass dynamic data, such as donation amount, to the UET event. Click here for instructions on how to easily import user-defined variables and triggers into your GTM container.
- Now that Fundraise Up's dataLayer events have been imported into your GTM container, they're ready for use in your UET "donation" event tag! In GTM, select go to Tags>>New. Then, you'll want to locate the tag type "Microsoft Advertising Universal Event Tracking" and configure it like below. For the firing trigger, select "Fundraise Up Donation Complete."
- Once your GTM container changes have been published, Fundraise Up donations will fire "donation" conversions in Microsoft Advertising! If you'd like, you can repeat these steps for other Fundraise Up events, such as checkout open and checkout close.