Learn how to use Designations in Checkout.
In Checkout, Designations can be enabled to help categorize donations. Use Designations to provide donors with greater clarity about how their donation will be used and to improve your organization’s ability to track and report on which causes donors are giving to.
By default, Designations are not enabled in Checkout. To enable Designations, go to a Campaign’s Checkout settings and select Designations. Once Designations is enabled, you can search and select existing designations or create new designations.
Designations display in Checkout
When you enable Designations, a new Designate to option will be displayed on the first Checkout screen. When only one designation is enabled, the Designate to label shows the name of the designation, but it cannot be interacted with. When multiple designations are enabled, the default designation (described below) is shown and is selectable. When selected, a dropdown menu of all enabled designations is shown. A donor can then select an alternate designation.
Setting a default designation
When you enable multiple designations, you can set one as the default. The default designation is the option automatically displayed to donors when Checkout is launched. There are three possible settings for configuring default designation behavior. These settings are accessed from the three-dot vertical menu displayed for each designation item (note that this menu only appears once you have added at least two designations).
- Make default for all donations: This option sets that particular designation as the default for both one-time and recurring donation. Donors can still choose a different designation if they wish.
- Make default for one time: This option will set the selected designation as the default when the donor has selected Give once as their donation frequency. Donors can still select an alternate designation.
- Make default for recurring: This option will set the selected designation as the default when the donor has chosen a recurring donation frequency in Checkout. Donors can still select an alternate designation.
In some cases, you may want to make some designations available only for specific donation frequencies. There are two settings accessible from a designation’s three-dot menu to address this use case:
- Restrict to one time: When this option is enabled for a designation, it will only be visible and selectable when the donor has selected Give once in the Checkout form.
- Restrict to recurring: When this option is enabled for a designation, it will only be visible and selectable when the donor has chosen a recurring donation frequency in the Checkout form.
When multiple designations are enabled in Checkout, their display order can be set by dragging them into the desired order. This is done using the six-dot drag handle displayed at the left edge of each designation item.
Designation titles can be localized using any of Fundraise Up’s supported language localizations. Translations can be added for each designation from the Designations section of your main Dashboard settings. Learn more →