How to engage donors with tribute giving
Tribute giving enables donors to dedicate their donations in honor or in memory of a person, place, or thing. Tribute settings in Checkout allow you to activate tribute giving for any Campaign.
To enable Tribute giving for a Campaign, view its Checkout settings and select Tribute.
Tribute Checkout behavior
When you enable tribute giving in Checkout, a Dedicate this donation checkbox is displayed on the first screen of Checkout. When the checkbox is selected, an input is displayed that enables a donor to input the name of a person, place, or thing that they want to dedicate the donation to. On subsequent Checkout screens, a badge will be displayed with the dedication information.
When the donation is completed, Checkout will display an option to send a dedication card. A second option enables the donor to initiate another dedicated donation. When the option to send a card is selected, the donor is redirected to Donor Portal to complete the donation dedication.
The Checkout settings for tribute giving let you control how the feature is displayed in Checkout and the options for dedication messages. These settings are described below.
- Show tributee name field by default: When this option is selected, the input field for including the dedication name is automatically shown and displayed in focus when Checkout is launched.
- Allow donors to send tributes by postal mail: Selecting this option enables a donor to choose postal mail as the method for sending their dedication message.
- Allow donors to send tributes by email: Selecting this option enables a donor to choose email as the method for sending their dedication message.
- Allow donors to show the amount in tribute notification: By default, the donation amount for a dedicated donation is not shown in the dedication message. Enabling this option allows a donor to display the donation amount.
- Allow donors to select an email card image: Selecting this option activates the use of image collections. When used in conjunction with the Allow donors to send tributes by email setting, you enable donors to include an image with their dedication message. The image is sourced from image collection categories that you can create and manage in the Tributes section of Dashboard Settings.
When the Allow donors to select an email card image option is enabled, a list of available image collection categories is displayed. You can then toggle the image collection categories that you want to show to donors. While these selections are Campaign-specific, you also also set account-level preferences for image collections. Learn more →
Donor Portal dedication flow
To reduce dedication steps in Checkout that could negatively impact conversion, a majority of dedication-related steps are completed in Donor Portal after the donation is processed. The following dedication options are set by a donor using the Donor Portal dedication flow:
- Dedication type: A donor can choose from two options —
- In honor
- In memory
- In memory of: This is the dedication name entered during checkout. It can be modified in the Donor Portal. dedication flow.
- What to send: These are the methods a donor can select for sending their dedication message. The options are:
The postal mail option collects the information needed for you to send print-format version of the donor’s dedication message. It is not a way to programmatically send dedication messages.
- Postal mail
- Image: If image collections are enabled in the Checkout settings of the Campaign, a donor can select an image include with their dedication message. If multiple image collection categories are enabled, a dropdown is displayed that includes available categories. Because some categories have display limitations based on the dedication type, it is possible that not all categories will be shown in the dropdown.
- From: This text input enables a donor to include a sender name for the donation dedication. By default, this property contained the first and last name of the donor, but it can be modified to any value by the donor. In some cases, a donor may use this input to include the names of multiple people, a group, or an organization. For example: “Piper and Alex” “the girls of Delta Nu,” or “Initech.”
- Hide the amount of my gift: When the Allow donors to show the amount in tribute notification option is enabled for Tributes in Checkout, a donor can opt to show or hide the donation amount in the dedication message.
- Recipient first name: This text input lets the donor set the first name of the person receiving the dedication message. In some cases, a donor may use the input to include multiple names. For example, “David and Patrick.”
- Recipient last name: This text input lets the donor set the last name of the person receiving the dedication message.
- Recipient email (email delivery method): This input is displayed when a donor selects email as the delivery method for their dedication message. The email address added to the input will receive the dedication message.
- Recipient address (postal delivery method): These address inputs are displayed when a donor selects postal mail as the delivery method for their dedication message. This is the mailing address you should send the dedication message to.
The tribute giving feature sends two emails: the dedication message email (Tribute e-card) and the tribute reminder email. Both emails can be customized at the account level in Dashboard Settings, or for each Campaign.
- Tribute e-card: The tribute e-card email includes the dedication message and is sent to the recipient added by the donor using the Donor Portal dedication flow.
- Tribute reminder: This email is sent to a donor immediately after they complete a donation that included a dedication. It includes a link to Donor Portal where the donor can complete the dedication.
Using Tributes throughout the platform
In Virtual Terminal, it is possible to process a dedicated donation when the Tributes feature is enabled for a selected Campaign. Both email and postal mail options are available for sending a dedication message, but if the email method is selected, it is not possible to include an image from image collections. Learn more →
Properties for dedicated donations are available fields in Exports templates. You can include nearly 20 dedication-specific properties to build tribute giving reports. There is also a Shared tributes report type that makes it easy to create templates to track dedication messages that you need to mail. Learn more →
Many of Fundraise Up’s built-in integrations support syncing properties from the tribute object to properties in connected apps. Learn more →
Adding dedications to past donations
In Donor Portal, it is possible for a donor to add dedications to past donations they have made. For this functionality to be available for a past donation, the donation needs to be associated with a Campaign that has the Tributes feature enabled at the Checkout level.
Some features related to tribute giving are configured at the account level in Dashboard settings. Review these settings before enabling tribute giving for a Campaign.