ACH Direct Debit
Learn how to accept donations with ACH Direct Debit.
Organizations within the United States can implement ACH Direct Debit as a donation option to enable donors to give using their bank details.
ACH Direct Debit is a popular payment method for donors making larger donations, in part because of its lower processing fees: 0.8% per donation with a $5 cap, compared to the standard 2.9% + 30¢ fee charged by Stripe for card and wallet-based payment methods.
|Country availability||United States|
|Minimum donation amount||$95 (For donations $1-$95 Plaid is used)|
|Works with||Checkout, Donor Portal, Virtual Terminal|
To enable ACH Direct Debit in Fundraise Up, you first need to enable ACH Direct Debit in Stripe. This requires accessing your organization’s Stripe account using an account with either the Administrator or Developer role.
Enable Instant ACH
You will enable ACH Direct Debit in two steps. The first step involves enabling ACH Direct Debit in Stripe, which is referenced above. If you have already completed this step, you can proceed to the “Enabling ACH Direct Debit in Fundraise Up” section.
Enabling ACH Direct Debit in Stripe
To enable ACH Direct Debit, complete the following steps.
- Log-in to Stripe.
- Select the gear icon in the upper right corner of the Stripe dashboard.
- In the “Payments” section, select Payment methods.
- Locate the ACH Direct Debit option.
- Select Turn on.
- When prompted, select Turn on anyway.
- If prompted, reenter your password and select Continue.
- You may see a “Confirm financial data access” alert. If you do, select Confirm in the alert.
- When shown the list of data types that you can use, confirm that Tokenized account and routing number is selected. This is the only data type you need to enable.
- Select Save.
- You may be redirected to the “Settlement timing” page. There are no settings that you need to configure on the page, and you can navigate away from it.
ACH Direct Debit is now configured in Stripe, and you can continue with enabling it in Fundraise Up.
Enabling Instant ACH in Fundraise Up
Once ACH Direct Debit is enabled in Stripe, you can enable Instant Direct Debit from the Payment options page in the Dashboard.
When a donor gives using ACH Direct Debit they input the account and routing numbers of the bank account they want to donate from. To confirm that these details are correct, Stripe deposits a small amount of currency into the bank account. The donor is then required to confirm the currency amount to complete their donation. This process can take several days to complete. To help facilitate these steps, Fundraise Up automatically sends verification instruction and reminder emails to donors using ACH Direct Debit as their donation method.
ACH Direct Debit provides a dispute process for bank account holders to dispute donations. Donors can dispute a donation debit through their bank for up to 60 calendar days after a debit on a personal account, or up to 2 business days for a business account. donor’s bank can honor any dispute within this period.
Donations made using ACH Direct Debit can be refunded within 180 days of the original donation. Refunds require at least 3 business days to process.Instant Direct