Pre-authorized debit in Canada
Enabling PAD allows donors to connect directly to their Canadian bank account online and approve immediate bank-to-bank transfers. These will appear in Stripe and will be fully compliant with Canadian requirements.
Enable PAD in Fundraise Up
If your Fundraise Up account is connected to a Canadian Stripe account, the Payment Options screen will provide options for the enabling of PAD. You can enable PAD by following these steps:
- Go to the Fundraise Up dashboard,
- Click your name in the top right, and choose Settings from the dropdown menu,
- Click Payment Options in the left hand menu
- Click Enable for PAD
- Click the Enable PAD button to start allowing donors with Canadian bank accounts to donate directly from those bank accounts using your Fundraise Up forms!
Disable Stripe's PAD Emails
Stripe has a series of emails to assist with account verification and payment confirmation, which are unnecessary if you're using our PAD solution as we allow you to customize versions of those emails right from Fundraise Up. To disable Stripe's PAD debit emails:
- Go to your Stripe dashboard,
- Go to Settings in the left-hand menu,
- Scroll down to "Business settings", and under "Your business", click Emails,
- In the Customer emails section, toggle "Debit emails" off.
Failure to disable the Stripe PAD email set will result in the donor receiving two sets of emails that will contain differing content.
Review how your donors will pay with PAD
When a donor gets to the Payment Options screen, as long as their donation is $14 CAD or more, they'll be provided a "Bank transfer" button.
If they click "Bank transfer" and their donation is in CAD (or no other ACH options are enabled), they'll be taken to the PAD connection screen with two options for how they can pay for their donation with a bank account:
- by clicking Agree and logging into their bank,
- or by clicking manually verify, providing their account numbers, and then completing a micro-deposit verification.
If the donor chooses to log into their bank, they'll be able to pay by authorizing their transaction immediately - a major time savings all around!
If the donor chooses to provide their account number and use micro-deposit verification, they'll be emailed each of the Bank Verification email templates (if set to Send) that include instructions and a button to verify their transaction, once the micro-deposits land in their account in the next 5 business days.
Payment processing fees for PAD donations are 1% + C$0.40, with a C$5 cap, C$1 per instant verification, and C$5 for failures and disputes.
When making donations from within the Fundraise Up dashboard using Virtual Terminal, PAD is still available as a payment option. The key restriction to keep in mind is that, as the donor cannot provide you their login info, the only verification method available is micro-deposits.
As such, you can enter the identifying info of the donor's bank account when entering a donation for them, and they will be sent the appropriate Bank Verification email templates if enabled.
Customize Confirmation and Verification Emails
When donors make PAD donations, they'll by default receive some of the Email Templates you can manage and customize from your Fundraise Up account, centrally from the Email Templates screen of Settings, and on a per-Campaign basis using the controls in each Campaign's Emails tab.
If a donor logs into their bank to authorize a PAD donation, they'll by default receive the "Donation in progress" email template. Once their donation is successfully transacted, they'll then be sent the applicable "Receipt" email template.
If a donor using public checkout chooses to verify their PAD donation manually, or if their PAD donation was entered via Virtual Terminal where manual verification is the only option, they'll be sent micro-deposits to their bank account, and:
- they will receive the standard "Bank Verification" email template immediately,
- two days later, if they haven't verified yet, they'll receive the "Bank Verification Instructions" email template,
- every four days after that, until they complete verification or the donation fails, they'll get the "Bank Verification Reminder" email template,
- and once their donation method is verified, they'll get the "Donation in progress" email template.
For PAD donors, the "Donation in progress" email template specifically includes legal text (sourced from Stripe) below their agreement, outlining what the donor is entitled to with regards to their PAD payment. To see this text, go to the Email Templates page of Settings, click "Donation in progress" in the left hand menu, and click the Preview button.
Donors specifically will only receive the Receipt email templates when their Donation succeeds, which can only be done once Stripe lets Fundraise Up know that the Donation is past the window where they would have been sent any notifications of payment failure.
For new Donations and first Donations of Recurring Plans, this can take up to 10 business days. For subsequent installments of Recurring Plans, this can take up to 7 business days, shorter because the initial authorization was already done.